Accounting Manager – Maternity Leave Coverage (0.6 FTE)
We are seeking an Accountant with leadership skills who is highly organized, a clear communicator, and willing to take initiative. The ability to work independently, multi-task, and be proactive and adaptable is a must in our dynamic environment. This is an exceptional opportunity for an individual passionate about decolonizing healthcare and promoting health and wellness equity for the Indigenous and non-Indigenous community living in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside (DTES) to join our team in a part-time, short term capacity.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Budgeting, Financial Planning, and Reporting
- In coordination with the Executive Director and Program Leads, prepare the annual operating budget for approval by the Board of Directors.
- Produce monthly financial statements and budget-to-actual reports.
- Complete monthly and year-end reconciliations. Review and advise the Executive Director and Program Leads on large variances between budget and actual expenditures.
- Prepare financial reconciliation reports as requested by various program funders.
- Develop recommendations for overall strategic budgeting and financial planning to support financial decision making and analysis.
- Manage the integrity of the financial data, identifying shortfalls and making recommendations to resolve them.
- Participate in monthly finance meetings and other related meetings as required.
- Provide input into the Society’s annual report.
- Process receipts and receivables; ensure deposits are made promptly to the bank, collections are up to date, and any overdue/uncollectible amounts are followed up.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations to ensure cheques processed in the account are valid and identify NSF cheques as soon as possible for collection.
- Process payments for authorized purchases after obtaining authorization to pay.
- Collaborate with the HR Coordinator on bi-weekly payroll before relevant deadlines in regards to changes in staffing, salaries, benefits, and payments to federal and provincial bodies and benefits providers. Ensure accurate preparation of ROEs and T4s.
- Reconcile donations to the general ledger for accuracy of tax receipting.
Policy, Compliance, and Control:
- Monitor compliance with GAAP, PASS policies, and tax regulations; monitor and evaluate internal controls for weaknesses and improvements; evaluate and make recommendations on improving accounting and reporting systems and develop accounting processes and systems.
- Complete regular updating of the software applications and regular backup of data for on- and off-site storage.
- Ensure accounting files are kept up to date with documentation for completeness and accuracy for audit purposes. Responsible for highly sensitive and confidential transactions and for dispute resolution for financial issues between Kilala Lelum and third parties.
- Create and implement new policies, financial procedures, and training material relating to financial policies, internal controls, and expenditure reimbursements.
- Work with external auditors for financial audit reviews.
- Ensure Kilala Lelum is compliant with BC Employment Standards and WorkSafeBC.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Post-secondary degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business.
- CPA designation or working towards CPA designation with a minimum of 2 years of experience in a non-profit organization.
- 2 years of experience using QuickBooks or other similar accounting software.
- Experience with financial reporting requirements.
- Excellent leadership, organizational, and communication skills.
- Demonstrated analytical, problem solving, and decision-making abilities.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Deadline-oriented with exceptional attention to detail.
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural safety; completion or willingness to complete a cultural safety course or training (ex: San’yas) is imperative.
- This is a year-long position providing maternity leave coverage for KL’s current Accounting Manager from November 2021 until November 2022.
- Working schedule is 24 hours/week with flexible hours between Monday-Friday. Some work will be completed onsite and some will be completed remotely.
- Successful candidates will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check.
- Hourly salary will be negotiated.
- Kilala Lelum Health Centre is committed to equity and diversity, and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or membership or self-identification as an First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Please send a resume and cover letter by Friday, September 24, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should clearly articulate why you are interested in this role and working with Kilala Lelum, how your background is a good fit for this specific role and our organization, and your current availability and desired schedule. Incomplete applications will not be considered.