Medical Office Assistant (0.6-0.8 FTE)
We are seeking an individual who is passionate about promoting health and wellness equity in the Downtown Eastside (DTES) to join the Kilala Lelum Health Centre as a Medical Office Assistant (MOA) for 3-4 days a week (including Saturdays). Kilala Lelum aims to provide access to primary care and Elder-led cultural care to new and existing members of the Health Centre through an outreach-based, culturally-safe, trauma-informed, member-centered, and harm reduction approach.
The Medical Office Assistant (0.6-0.8 FTE) is an integral part of KL’s interdisciplinary healthcare team, working in conjunction with primary care providers (Physicians, Nurses, Nurse Practitioners), Allied Health professionals (Counsellors, Social Workers, Dieticians), and the Cultural Wellness team (Elders and Knowledge Keepers), to support members’ access to and experience of holistic, wrap-around care within the DTES community. The MOA’s role is to establish and maintain positive and engaging relationships with people living in the DTES, perform medical office duties (including referrals, maintaining clinical and non-clinical supplies, and updating Electronic Medical Records), work collaboratively with KL’s members and partners, and perform other logistical and support duties.
- Greet and check-in members accessing primary care and cultural wellness services; manage waits/sequence of visits; submit lab requisitions, investigations, and prescriptions; book follow-up appointments.
- Establish relationships with members and provide culturally safe, kind, and empathetic support.
- Utilize Electronic Medical Records (OSCAR) and perform other clerical duties to arrange and track members’ care.
- Provide support to onsite primary care providers, Allied Health professionals, and Elders/Knowledge Keepers.
- Working in conjunction with the Head MOA, demonstrate familiarity with the supplies and equipment required for the successful day-to-day operations of the primary care clinic.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Completion of Medical Office Assistant/Administrator course.
- Experience with OSCAR EMR.
- Desire to work closely with the Head MOA and Clinic Manager to improve workflow and strengthen communication/collaboration within the MOA team.
- Minimum of one year of experience in an environment (ex: outreach, housing support, community services) that serves Indigenous community members and/or communities with multiple barriers to health and wellness equity, preferably within the DTES.
- Desire to work with the residents of the DTES and provide exceptional service.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, and maintain good working relationships within the team and with community partners.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated commitment to culturally-safe, trauma-informed, member-centered, harm reduction and recovery-oriented practices.
- Experience and knowledge of Indigenous peoples and Indigenous culture would be extremely beneficial. Completion of a cultural competency course or willingness to participate required.
- MOA responsibilities will be performed at the Kilala Lelum Health Centre at 626 Powell Street.
This position is supervised by the Head MOA and the Clinic Manager and will receive support and mentorship from the in-clinic MOA team, the Primary Care Co-Leads, and the Indigenous Health Lead.
- Ideal start date is January 2023.
- Work days will be determined with the successful candidate to meet requirements of 0.6-0.8 FTE (24-32 hours/week); Saturday availability crucial and availability to pick up additional shifts on an as-needed basis useful.
- Successful candidates will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check.
- Hourly wage is $26.01; extended health and dental benefits available :).
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Your cover letter should clearly articulate why you are interested in this role and working with Kilala Lelum, how your experience/education makes you a good fit, and your current availability and desired schedule. Incomplete applications (those without cover letters) will not be considered. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.