Outreach Manager in Relational Care (0.8 FTE)
We are seeking someone passionate about promoting health and wellness equity in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside (DTES) to join Kilala Lelum’s Relational Care Program in the role of Outreach Manager. The Relational Care (RC) program aims to provide access to food security, nursing and allied healthcare services, and Elder-led cultural care to members of Kilala Lelum. There are approximately 300 members on the food security program and 50 members enrolled in medication management/case management services in Relational Care. Our aim is to provide healthcare services through an outreach-based, culturally-safe, trauma-informed, member-centered, and harm reduction approach. The RC Outreach Manager will support Outreach Workers by overseeing case management, managing internal and external referrals, and liaising with leadership about communication and education.
The Relational Care Outreach Manager, supported by an integrated health service team, will provide excellent culturally-safe care to members accessing the Relational Care space for food, medicine, and cultural connections. The Relational Care space is open 365 days a year from 08:30-1:30 for daily breakfast and lunch. The Outreach Manager role is integral in providing leadership to a team of Outreach Workers and works alongside/in conjunction with Nurses, Kitchen staff, and the Relational Care Lead.
Responsibilities as an Outreach Worker:
- Establish relationships with members and provide culturally safe, kind, and empathetic support; support wellbeing and increase access to holistic health supports, including cultural wellness and Allied health professionals.
- Conduct outreach to members in the DTES for delivery of medication, food, and occasional appointment accompaniment.
- Chart all documentation in OSCAR (EMR), complete paper charting in MAR for medication dispensing.
- Demonstrate understanding of medication management required for folks living in the DTES, including those experiencing mental illness, substance use disorders, and chronic illnesses.
- Work alongside nurses conducting phlebotomy, wound care, general and focused assessments, referrals, case management, Narcan training, harm reduction and health education.
- Collaborate in a multidisciplinary team of Elders, Nurses, MOAs, Social Navigators, Physicians, Dieticians, and Counselors.
Responsibilities as a Manager:
- Act as one third of Relational Care’s leadership team for day-to-day running of the program; oversee case management for all members in program.
- Create and manage work schedules for Outreach team as part of a program that operates 365 days/year.
- Work closely with the Nursing Manager to ensure successful collaboration between Nurses and Outreach Workers.
- Work with the RC Lead to complete timesheets for biweekly payroll for all Outreach staff.
- Attend internal education sessions and meetings as required.
- Hire, train, and support RC Outreach Workers.
- With the RC Lead, implement policies and procedures to support RC Outreach staff.
- Meet with Primary Care and Mobile Outreach Program (MOP) teams; participate on committees within Kilala Lelum to aid in building policies and education plans.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Experience in community setting that serves Indigenous community members and/or communities with multiple barriers to health and wellness equity, preferably within the DTES.
- Understanding of barriers faced by members in accessing care.
- Ability to deal effectively with conflict, manage aggressive behaviour, and use non-violent crisis intervention and behavioural management techniques.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Flexible, team-oriented, and committed to respectful, collaborative problem-solving with team members.
- Demonstrated commitment to culturally-safe, trauma-informed, member-centered, harm reduction and recovery-oriented practices.
- Experience and knowledge of Indigenous peoples and Indigenous culture would be extremely beneficial. Completion of a cultural competency course or willingness to participate required.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position (walking, sharing space).
- Outreach Manager will work out of the Relational Care space at 606 Powell Street.
- Outreach duties will occur within the Downtown Eastside in hotels, SROs, and private apartments following the safety guidelines of the RC Lead and VCH.
- Administrative duties will be completed mostly onsite with the potential for offsite work as makes sense for program needs.
This position is supervised by the Relational Care Lead and receives support from the RC Nursing Manager, Administrative Lead, and Executive Director.
- Successful candidates will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check.
- Hourly salary is $38.00/hour
- Days of work to be determined with successful candidate and based on program’s needs to fulfill requirements of 0.8 FTE (32 hours/week).
- Robust extended health and dental benefits available.
Please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] by January 5, 2024. Your cover letter should clearly articulate why you are interested in this role and working with Kilala Lelum, how your background is a good fit for this specific role and our organization, and your current availability and desired schedule. Incomplete applications (those without cover letters) will not be considered.