Registered Massage Therapist (0.2 FTE)
We are seeking an individual who is passionate about promoting health and wellness equity in the Downtown Eastside (DTES) to join the Kilala Lelum Health Centre in the role of Registered Massage Therapist (RMT). Kilala Lelum aims to provide access to primary care, holistic health care, and Elder-led cultural care to new and existing members of the Health Centre through an outreach-based, culturally-safe, trauma-informed, member-centered, and harm reduction approach.
The Registered Massage Therapist (0.2 FTE) will be an integral part of KL’s interdisciplinary healthcare team, working in conjunction with primary care providers (Physicians, Nurses, Nurse Practitioners), the Allied Health team (Counsellors, Social Workers, Nutritionists), and the Cultural Wellness team to support members’ access to and experience of health care and Elder-led cultural care in the DTES. The RMT’s role is to perform massage services and treatments for KL members, establish and maintain positive and engaging relationships with people living in the DTES, and work collaboratively with KL’s spectrum of care providers and partners.
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary health team to provide culturally-safe assessments and massage treatments to both Indigenous and non-Indigenous people.
- Ensure treatments are simultaneously inclusionary and flexible for individuals with mental illness, addictions, or concurrent disorders.
- Establish and maintain relationships with, and consult with, members, their families, Indigenous Elders, mental health professionals, Primary Care colleagues, and the Indigenous community to provide appropriate services based on best practices, member needs, and a combination of western and traditional Indigenous health and wellness practices and approaches.
- Provide, facilitate, and coordinate members’ access to other services offered at KL.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Graduate of a College of Massage Therapy diploma program.
- Registered Massage Therapist in good standing with the College of Massage Therapists of British Columbia.
- Preference will be given to candidates with Indigenous ancestry.
- Desire to work with the residents of the Downtown Eastside and provide exceptional service.
- Ability to be culturally safe, culturally appropriate, and respectful with KL members.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, and maintain good working relationships within the team and with community partners.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Experience with EMR, preferably OSCAR, would be beneficial.
Demonstrated commitment to culturally-safe, trauma-informed, member-centered, harm reduction and recovery-oriented practices.
- Experience and knowledge of Indigenous peoples and Indigenous culture would be extremely beneficial. Completion of a cultural competency course or willingness to participate required.
- RMT responsibilities will be performed at the Kilala Lelum Health Centre at 626 Powell Street. Working schedule will likely be two half days (4 hours/day) per week with preference being Mondays and Saturdays.
This position is supervised by the Primary Care Co-Leads and will receive support from the Indigenous Health Lead and the Allied Health team.
- Hourly salary will be negotiated.
- Extended health benefits will be available for qualifying staff.
- Kilala Lelum Health Centre is committed to equity and diversity, and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or membership or self-identification as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by Monday, March 1, 2021. Your cover letter should clearly articulate why you are interested in this role and working with Kilala Lelum, how your background is a good fit for this specific role and our organization, and your current availability. Incomplete applications will not be considered.